Dodge Command Car
Built in Detroit Michigan from 1942 to 1944, the 3/4 ton command car was the third of three generations of command cars built by Dodge. The first being a 1/2 ton civilian style VC series introduced in 1939 (right) and the second being a 1/2 ton WC series introduced in 1941(center).
The Dodge command car was used for front line reconnaissance. Other uses were in a command role often transporting high ranking military officials. This role was gradually phased out during WWII because of the identifiable nature that this vehicle presented to the enemy. Command cars were often used as a parade vehicles and for other miscellaneous duties.
General George S. Patton and the Command Car
General George Patton utilized the command car in his dash across France in 1944. He reformed the 6th Cavalry Group into an army information service. Normal signal communications and command channels were bypassed. Information that was obtained by patrols on the front lines was instantly relayed by radio and teletype to 3rd Army Headquarters. Patton utilized the command car for this role because of it's radio communications capability. Command cars were designed to carry the SCR 193 radio set which had a range of 15 to 30 miles while moving and approximately 20 to 60 miles stationary. Patton had several custom made command cars for his use throughout WWII. Pictures of one of them can be seen by clicking on the "Patton's WC-57" link.
The following three designations of the 3/4 ton command car were formed: WC-56, 57, and 58. The difference between models WC-56 and WC-57 is that the latter is equipped with a power take-off and a drive shaft for the winch mounted at the front of the vehicle. The electrical system of both models is 12 volt with battery located on the right running board and provision is made for the installation of radio equipment behind the front seat designated as WC-58.
-- 3/4 Ton Command Car Specifications & Photographs --
The above photo is from the film "Band of Brothers" taken
during filming by Roger Day author of "Ramsbury at War".